Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Twilight Party Awesomeness!

 
So I've been wanting to do this for years. Decorate the house in black and red and throw the ultimate Twilight themed girls night party. This year I finally got to! And good timing too... now we're out of books and movies to look forward to. I've spent months collecting goodies and ideas for this. And I think it turned out well! No, I'm not a twihard. In fact I think that's the dumbest name ever. I don't think about the books and movies much, except around November when the movies are released.


Well, and when I found decorations in stores on clearance. 


The 'paintings' on the back wall are from the Twilight tablecloth, bought on clearance. (I paid $0.50)


I had so much fun putting this party together. So I thought I would share the pictures with you, and my decorating secrets. I'm estimating that I spent about $100 on the whole thing (not including food, and purchased over several months...ok some items I bought a couple of years ago. Hey, I already told you I've been wanting to do this for a while.) And almost everything I bought can be re-purposed for other parties. Mostly Halloween, but that's ok, its my favorite holiday anyway! 


First let me cover my rules to party decor:
1. Never pay full price for anything. (Only broke this rule twice.)
2. Only purchase that which can be re-purposed for other parties. (Maybe $3 of all of my decor broke this rule. I mean really what do I do with the extra plates, No Ordinary Party Twilight banner and extra table cloth, that I didn't cut up?)
For instance, the photo above... vase purchased at thrift store, paper lanterns came in a few Halloween party kits purchased after Halloween at discounted prices. Same with the ribbon and vampire lips. The black paper fan decor at the top of the photo, ok well those I bought at full price, but the do follow rule number two. So that gives me some credit right?


These apples on sticks as I like to call them were given to me by my mother in law. I have no idea where or when she got them, but I think they are fabulous and perfect for Twilight! And maybe a Fairy Tale party in the future. :)


Every party needs themed candy. I found quite the selection of red and black candy to fit the theme. 

A few blood dripping candles added a nice touch.


This part was fun. Take plastic table cloths, from the dollar store, pin to ceiling. Then purchase tulle (online, I bought a whole bolt and used the whole thing. Yes, that was 40 yards) and pin where necessary. Hang danglies, accessories and pretty things. Or spooky, depends on what look you are going for. TIP: this is easiest when you have enough chairs to play "don't touch the floor" or if you have minions to hand you things, like dropped pins. I don't have minions, I have chairs.

So lets see it put together shall we?

(this one was taken before the party, don't mind the hole in the ceiling, the kitchen is still under construction)


oh, well we're not quite done here...



I made the banner with pre-cut letters, tape, ribbon and paper. The letters are taped on, so they and the banner can be reused for other parties.


I found these large chess pieces at Hobby Lobby. Yup, half price.


Before the food

Bella's wedding inspired room. Before I remembered to add some purple. Don't mind the giraffe, he's ceramic, and I didn't feel like moving him...

I added some purple flowers.
And some purple bows. Its hard to see, but there are paper butterflies on the wall. They came with the paper lanterns, but I didn't want them stuck on the lanterns, so I taped them to the wall instead.



Do you know how hard it is to find Fire and Ice tulips? They are expensive if you do find them. So I used a frame I already had and drew one myself. The Thirsty printout, as well as the other printouts I used, came from blog.hwtm.com/search/twilight  - so many great ideas on her blog. 

Now I realize, the Ultimate Twilight Party, is not just about the decor... Bring on the Twilight food!


Everything had a name. Most of the ideas I collected off of blogs and Pinterest. 

Twilight Food Menu
I stuck to vampire 'bite' size food
Bella's Bites- breaded ravioli with pasta dipping sauce
Jasper's Southern Deviled Eggs
Victoria's Chips and Salsa - you know, to match her red hair
Wolf Bites - Stuffed Mushrooms
Phil's Phyllo Cups - filled with chocolate mousse
Alice's Wedding Appetizers or Meadow Flowers - melted brie in phyllo cups with jelly or fruit on top
Vampire Bites - well these can really be anything
Wolf Dip - I had this card ready hoping a friend would bring Wing Dip :) She did, it was delicious!
Charlie's Chips and Dip
Charlie's Berry Cobbler - I wanted to make this, but didn't have the time.
Salad a la Rosalie - Also didn't get made, and I was going to leave out the glass.
Fire and Ice Tulips - Stuffed strawberries (with cheesecake filling) You could also used cheese stuffed tomatoes.




We had plenty of wine and "blood" colored drinks. And don't forget the "sparkling" water!

And if you do serve food that needs eating utensils:
Don't forget the sign that says "Welcome to Forks"


Games!!!

Activities to do at a Twilight party:

As it turns out, we had the most fun watching/ mocking the Twilight films.
But I did have set up Name that Vampire!


I had forms to fill out

Since we were too distracted by the movies. I still have the prize on my mantle, a Golden Onion!


I should probably remember to throw that away soon, before I end up with a moldy golden onion.

All in all, it turned out to be a fabulous evening with good food and great friends! 

Now to turn the house around for the Nightmare Before Christmas - Christmas party. Don't worry, the black ceiling gets to shine at the Christmas party too... I planned this out well... stay tuned!
















No comments:

Post a Comment